- This trip-event has passed.
Basic Bushcraft/ Bronze Duke of Edinburgh training
4 November 2017 - 5 November 2017
The course is aimed at beginner trampers or those with little experience. It will suit those who wish to undertake easy overnight bush trips using tents or huts close to road ends. A preparatory session will be held before a planned weekend overnight trip is included. This trip will include a fixed camp or hut stay and a tramp with a full pack.
* Be fit to travel for approximately four hours across hill country, on a track, with a full pack.
On completion, the participant will have an experience of:
* How to plan and execute an easy bush trip involving camping out
* How to select and use suitable clothing and equipment
* How to operate camp stoves and manage fuels safely
* Operating in an environmentally responsible manner
* Understanding basic first aid and survival
* Carrying out map work and route finding on a track including applying basic map to ground skills and route finding
* Using bush walking skills including moving effectively with a group along a track
* Basic river crossing techniques
* River safety –
1. Know when not to cross
2. Know when to cross
3. Other options
Classroom prep day 29th October Hutt Valley Tramping Club, Lower Hutt.
In-field training weekend Saturday 4th Nov – Sunday 5th Nov 2017 location TBC.
Cost $60 per person.
To attend this course please fill out the form at:
Please contact Helen Lyman with any queries firstname.lastname@example.org.