- This trip-event has passed.
Intermediate Bushcraft/ Silver Duke of Edinburgh training
22 September 2017 - 24 September 2017
The course aims to consolidate the bushcraft skills and knowledge of the participant. It is a field oriented course with most of the time spent in the outdoors. It is for those who have done the Basic Bushcraft course, (or similar training) or who have some experience in the bush and want to develop their skills. A preparatory session will be held before a planned weekend overnight trip is included. A tramp with a full pack will be involve significant off track travel. Participants must be fit to travel for approximately six hours across hill country, on and off track, with a full pack. This course also meets the requirements for Silver Duke of Edinburgh training.
On completion, the participant will have an experience of:
* Selecting a suitable campsite
* Building an emergency shelter with material carried and sleeping in it
* Operating in an environmentally responsible manner
* Navigating with and without a compass (grid method) over a selected route
* Safely travelling off-track in non-challenging bush terrain
* The responsibility of the party leader role
* Using a mountain radio
* Dealing with some basic emergency and first aid situations
* Completing observations/predictions of field weather
PREMEET: Thursday 7th September 2017.
Opawa Baptist Church, 285 Wilsons Road, Waltham at 7 pm to 9 pm – Please be along early so we can begin on time.
To ensure OTNZ covers all safety aspects of the weekend away.
Bring pen, paper and lots of questions and plenty of laughter.
WEEKEND AWAY: 22nd -24th September 2017 (Friday night to Sunday pm).
Meet at Springfield (at the Public Toilets) by 7 pm and move in convoy to the Dracophylum Flat Track up the Broken River Ski Field Road. Return to this point 3pm Sunday.
Register with this link is http://tinyurl.com/Bushcraft-2017.
For any questions please contact either Brian Wilson on 027 825 1177 or Tania Kendall 027 675 3333 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.