25 August - 26 August
The course is aimed at beginner trampers or those with little experience. It will suit those who wish to undertake easy overnight bush trips using tents or huts close to road ends. A preparatory session will be held before a planned weekend overnight trip is included. This trip will include a fixed camp or hut stay and a tramp with a full pack.
Be fit to travel for approximately four hours across hill country, on a track, with a full pack.
On completion, the participant will have an experience of:
* How to plan and execute an easy bush trip involving camping out
* How to select and use suitable clothing and equipment
* How to operate camp stoves and manage fuels safely
* Operating in an environmentally responsible manner
* Understanding basic first aid and survival
* Carrying out map work and route finding on a track including applying basic map to ground skills and route finding
* Using bush walking skills including moving effectively with a group along a track
* Basic river safety
Preparation evening of theory covering introductions, objectives in preparation for overnight camp. Learn about map reading, compass use, equipment, clothing, food and safety.
Wednesday 22nd August: Introductory theory, venue TBA. PLUS
Practical weekend – Overnight trip. This weekend covers basic navigation, route finding and leadership. It involves a short walk and overnight camp.
Saturday 25th August and Sunday 26th August: Practical Weekend, overnight trip: Depart Hamilton – Saturday 8:00 am. Return Hamilton – Sunday 4:30 pm. venue TBA
Cost $60 per person. Registration and payment is required prior to the course.
Enquiries to Outdoor Training Waikato: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone (07) 824 0878.